Good Form Running
- Feet straight ahead, knees soft.
- Head level with eyes looking forward.
- Stretch and reach to the sky.
- Relax arms to sides at a 90° angle.
- Keep arms & shoulders relaxed.
- Use compact arm swings, avoid crossing the body's center line.
- Contact ground midfoot first.
- Entire foot lands softly and under hip line.
- Run light, avoid pounding.
- Landing on midfoot promotes a balanced running position mini-mizing friction [braking].
- Cadence target = 180 steps/min.
- To find cadence. Jog for 1 min. counting number of times your right foot hits the ground. Goal is 90 foot strikes per foot [180 total].
- 180 cadence promotes short, quick strides and midfoot strike.
- Lean from the ankles without bending at the waist.
- Keep weight slightly forward and flex at the ankles.
- User gravity to help generate forward momentum.
- REset posture, then lean tall into a jog.
What Is Good Form Running (GFR)?
GFR is a running technique curriculum based on the idea that running is a skill to be learned. Rooted in simplicity, GFR focuses on four elements of technique (see sidebar) that will help prevent injury and increase efficiency in runners.
GFR Classes at Big Peach Running Co. (BPRC)
BPRC offers GFR classes on a monthly basis. Each class consists of (4) hours of instruction (over two sessions) and is taught by a certified GFR coach. Class size is limited to 15 participants to ensure an intimate coaching environment.
What does it cost?
Class fee is $60 for the entire four hours of instruction.
What can I expect at a GFR Class?
Each student’s goals and backgrounds are identified at the outset. Video footage of each student is frequently gathered to understand baseline form and to identify improvement and areas needing additional focus (all video files are also emailed to students). Students practice drills to hone efficiency and receive individualized feedback thorough video analysis. Topics such as equipment, stretching and core strength are also covered.
Is there a way to try before I buy?
Yes! We offer a complimentary 1-hour introduction to Good Form Running. Learn about the 4 elements of GFR as you get a good overview of the program and what to expect at our 4-hour class. (Please click on the store location of your choice to sign up.)
Kennesaw: Sat. December 6 8:00-9:00am
Suwanee: Sat. December 6 8:00-9:00am
Marietta: Thurs. December 9 6:30-7:30pm
Alpharetta: Sat. December 13 8:00-9:00am
Brookhaven: Sat. December 13 8:00-9:00am
*Registration for December clinics will open in mid-November
Class Schedule (Full 4-hour program):
Suwanee: Sat. November 1 & Sat. November 15 8:00-10:00am
Brookhaven: Sat. November 1 & Sat. November 15 8:00-10:00am
Kennesaw: Sat. November 8 & Sat. November 22 8:00-10:00am
Alpharetta: Sat. November 8 & Sat. November 22 8:00-10:00am
Suwanee: Sat. December 20 8:00am-12:00pm
Special holiday edition with the entire 4-hour program presented in a single session!
To register, just click on the store location/class of your choice.